Our two kindergarten teachers and two assistants offer a strong educational journey that begins in kindergarten.
Under the direction of the Catholic School Department of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, St. Paul’s follows the educational guidelines for all grade levels. The goal is to graduate students who are effective communicators, have a life-long love of learning, and are able to utilize current technology.
The kindergarten curriculum features:
- The program is committed to teaching an integrated curriculum rooted in gospel values and Catholic teachings.
- A variety of instructional strategies within the classroom, the teachers facilitate small group instruction and differentiation with the help of teacher assistants.
- There are teaching assistants in both kindergarten classrooms.
- Our classrooms are equipped with technology to educate our children so that they become 21st century learners. The children have access to classroom computers, an interactive whiteboard, digital cameras, and many other resources. St. Paul the Apostle’s goal is to graduate students who are effective communicators and are able to utilize all current technology.
- The kindergarten is blessed to have Mrs. Claire Henning, Pastoral Associate of our parish, serve as the chaplain. Mrs. Henning visits the classrooms each week to guide the students in their ongoing spiritual development.
- The physical education program is fun while focusing on fitness, sportsmanship, and personal growth.
- The full-day program offers children a variety of experiences to continue the development of the whole child. Some of the highlights include the Early Literacy Program (part of the Language Arts Curriculum, where the children work in small groups of 15 to develop skills in phonics, reading, vocabulary, and comprehension. The children also experience interactive learning through the use of the Odyssey Reading and Language Arts computer program.
- Our classrooms are equipped with technology to begin educating our children so that they will become 21st century learners. The children have access to classroom computers, an interactive whiteboard, digital cameras, and many other resources. St. Paul the Apostle’s goal is to graduate students who are effective communicators and are able to utilize all current technology.
- Kindergartners visit our Sr. Stella Maria Enright Library and Media Center each week. Our librarian exposes children to different print and electronic media through storytelling and other activities.
- Art Literacy begins in kindergarten and the children begin to learn about art techniques and a variety of artists. This hands-on class is held weekly and the children create beautiful art within the guidelines of the curriculum. The art is displayed for the community to view at Christmas in the Church and in the spring at the time of kindergarten graduation.
- The music program is a developmental program seeking to expand the children’s knowledge and appreciation of music through singing, listening, movement, and hand-on activities.
- Our Buddy Program with the sixth grade students is another highlight of the kindergarten year. Each week, the sixth grade visits the kindergarten classroom. The sixth graders are friends and mentors to the children, while they work together on various projects throughout the school year.