Community Outreach and Volunteering
As followers of Jesus Christ we have been commissioned to provide for the poorest among us and to work toward change in our social structures when change is needed. Catholic social teaching principles call us to provide varied opportunities for community members to live out their gospel call.
- PATH–People Helping The Homeless. SPA has been invited to keep providing and serving meals to the guests of PATH for the upcoming year. This is a wonderful opportunity for families to help people in our community in great need. One or two families can sign up for each visit. The families are asked to have a meal for 25-30 guests. Please arrive at PATH at 5:30 to prepare your items and start serving at 6:00. Dinner is usually complete by 7:00. This is truly a wonderful way to spend an evening. If you would like to be placed on the upcoming schedule, please contact Nicole Gaffney at Nicole.email@example.com.Sample Meal:Family 1- Salad, water bottles, dessert, bread
Family 2-Spaghetti and meatballs, green beans
The PATH Westside Center, based on Cotner Ave (directly opposite the entrance to Smart & Final), is home to a contemporary 32-bed transitional housing program for both men and women. It offers comprehensive job assistance, job skills training, job-readiness workshops, resume development, and interviewing preparation. The foundation’s motto is “A hand up, not a hand out” and, in an effort to extend our helping hand, St Paul the Apostle Church and School is committed, as one of the many community groups throughout the area, to bring and serve dinner to the residents of the Center two nights per month.
- Sandwich Builders — once a month on Friday evenings during the academic year, we gather to make sack lunches for the homeless
- Sycamore and Romaine — our newest ministry to help feed the homeless. Once a month we will take a group of six volunteers out to feed the homeless. We work in coordination with the Greater West Hollywood Food Coalition.
- Maryvale — Small Valentine goody bags are being collected for the girls at Maryvale Orphanage. The girls appreciate being remembered all year especially on holidays. Small and simple goody bags bring them such joy and warmth. Please contact Nicole Gaffney if you would like more information. Nicole.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shane’s Inspiration – Play Date on Saturday February 23 from 10:30-1:00. Shane’s Inspiration is a universally accessible playground in Griffith Park, the first built in Los Angeles. If you are interested in attending/volunteering please contact Marjorie at Marjorie@shanesinspiration.org.
- The Battery Recycle Collection and Pet Supplies for Love and Leashes continue. Collection boxes are outside of 7B at the school (just off the south driveway).